SING BETTER. IMPROVE FASTER.
Join our New and Innovative Online Voice Building Academy!
The initial beta release was a huge success!
I'm now redesigning the course to incorporate excellent feedback from students to make it even better.
THE LONG ROAD FROM BAD SINGER TO GOOD SINGER
I was born with a love for singing. Unfortunately, I was not born with the gift of a "natural voice".
Or, maybe I had one, and from an early age and over time it became buried under a mountain of nasty vocal problems.
By my teens, I was forcing, pushing and squeezing songs out of a tense throat across a tense tongue both out of time and severely out of tune. I developed a shame and fear of being heard singing by others.
FIRST FAILURE TO IMPROVE
At 25, in the days before the internet, I decided to develop my singing voice.
I invested in weekly lessons, trained hard every day, and dreamed of a time when I'd soon have a wonderful voice.
Three years later I stopped. I had hardly improved. I had worked very hard. I had spent a lot of money. I felt dejected.
Only recently did I learn why those lessons and that methodology could never have solved my problems.
Wrong coach. Wrong method. Thousands of dollars down the drain. Happens to singers all the time.
The main shortcomings were:
- I was told to ignore my breathing and to just "let it happen naturally".
- I received no instruction in vocal physiology, being told that it's "too complicated and students don't need to know these things".
- The exercises focused entirely on the superficial reshaping of vowels and consonants, what I now call a "top-down" methodology.
- There were neither exercises nor instruction to treat the underlying bad muscle habits of breathing and phonation that were causing most of my problems.
SECOND FAILURE TO IMPROVE
I spent the next 20+ years singing at home nearly every night, enjoying myself, though still not improving.
It was easier to imagine myself a good singer.
I learned that simply singing all the time doesn't fix fundamental vocal problems. If anything, they are burned more deeply into muscle memory.
THIRD ATTEMPT: A SOLUTION IS FOUND
Seven years ago I committed to full immersion into vocal training.
I began with private lessons in the classical tradition (even though I sing pop, rock and musical theater). I saw improvement right away.
I then read the best books on singing and vocal training written over the past 200 years, mostly in the classical, "Bel Canto" tradition. I studied PhD dissertations and vocal research.
My rate of improvement began to accelerate. I grew hungry for more.
TURBO-CHARGING MY IMPROVEMENT WITH IN-HOME TRAINING
Private lessons with a great coach are wonderful. Yet, most of my improvement was coming from the work I did, at home, between private lessons.
I became an obsessed, mad scientist searching for and experimenting with whatever might improve my rate of improvement.
I rebuilt my breathing technique from scratch. I made hundreds of vocal scales on mp3 spanning four octaves and of all types of melodies. I experimented with the most popular vocal exercises.
Over time, my singing improved faster and faster. I feel so much more empowered now.
What did I learn? Here are a few highlights:
- The voice is built from the bottom-up, not the top-down.
- All dynamic, full-range, beautiful singing begins with mastery of the breath engine. Always start here.
- The fastest improvement, by far, comes from mastering training with the straw phonation in water device.
- The best exercises to increase range, strengthen the voice, blend the registers while improving pitch and sound quality are semi-occluded siren exercises.
- The replacement of bad muscle habits with good muscle habits requires a dedication to regular and disciplined in-home training.
I get better at singing every day now. I still have a long way to go. Mastery is not a destination, it's a long and wonderful journey.
I'm happy to teach you what I've learned. I can save you time and money. You'll reach your singing goals faster.
Read on if you'd like to know more.
I NOW SHARE WHAT I'VE LEARNED IN THIS SERIES:
VOICE BUILDING FOUNDATIONS
WHAT YOU'LL DISCOVER INSIDE THE ACADEMY
State-of-the-Art eLearning SystemEasy navigation across all devices
- Courses, handouts, exercise playlists
- Hundreds of visual aids
- Demonstrations and exercises
- Bonus material
- Email reminders and tips
Course Completion CoachFeel supported and inspired at all times
If you don't finish the course it's my fault!
I'll keep an eye on your progress from behind the scenes.
We're in this together!
Innovative Learning ProgressionStep-by-step and easy to follow
- Learn to "posture, anchor and activate"
- Add an excellent breathing technique
- Add an excellent set of exercises
- Use a huge variety or workout playlists
- Learn how to customize your own training
You Sing Better Faster than Ever BeforeAnd your rate of improvement accelerates
As you learn each new technique and exercise your worst vocal problems begin to vanish.
Your new sound comes to life in baby steps.
Over time, you improve faster and faster.
RESULTS YOU'LL SEE AS YOU PROGRESSYour rate of improvement will accelerate as you master the exercises
Increased Vocal Range
A Stronger Voice
A Blended Voice
Mastery of Breathing
Elimination of Vocal Strain
Increased Vocal IQ
Improved Sense of Self
Better Problem-Solving Skills
Improved Pitch Accuracy
SUMMARY OF COURSE CURRICULUMA brief outline of each of the four courses in the series
Voice Building: The Big Picture
The Core Concepts of Voice Building Foundations:
- We are replacing inhibitory behavior with exhibitory behavior.
- Effective In-Home Training is the Great Accelerator.
- You'll learn to know the voice as a musical instrument.
- You'll learn a phrase-crafting approach to training and singing.
- You'll learn and train using an innovative bottom-up progression.
Build Your Breath Engine
More than 50 lessons so that:
- You'll learn my comprehensive inhale technique which includes complete phrase-onset preparation.
- You'll learn how to slow the release of air for clean onsets.
- You'll learn using dozens of exercises taught in an excellent progression, each building upon the last.
- You'll have fun learning the physiology of breathing with excellent retention.
- You'll come to understand that breathing for singing is the most important technique to master.
Build Your Sound Maker
Increase your range, strengthen your voice and develop important sound qualities
In this course you'll connect your new breath engine with your sound making system. It's here where you begin to:
- Increase your vocal range.
- Strengthen your voice.
- Learn the best exercises used to build one smooth, connected voice.
- Develop your mastery of a perfect onset.
- Learn what's happening on the inside with dozens of custom-made visual aids.
- Learn how to build your own workouts.
- Accelerate your rate of improvement with straw phonation in water training.
Build Your Sound Shaper
In this course you begin to add your vowels and consonants to the core shape and sound you're building.
- You'll learn how to craft great sounding vowels and consonants with ease.
- You'll learn more great exercises, building upon those of the prior course.
- You'll learn new ways to sing your songs by incorporating elements from each course as you sing.
- You'll learn useful mental images, cues and triggers to use in your training and singing.
VOICE BUILDING FOUNDATIONS
Lifetime Access to the 4-Course Series
2 Ways to Pay
Instant Paywith Discount
Lifetime access to VBF series
Lifetime access to VBF series
TRY VOICE BUILDING FOUNDATIONS FOR 30 DAYS, 100% RISK-FREE
I've packed loads of great content into this course,— theory, technique, exercises, demonstrations, workout playlists and more.
If for any reason you aren't satisfied with the course, I will refund 100% of your payment.
HEAR WHAT OTHERS ARE SAYING
I've just finished the breathing course and I loved it! Worth the investment already. My singing has already improved.
Everything is so well explained. Joe has a natural talent for teaching. This course is perfect for beginners.
I own several of the other online courses and Joe's is by far the best. And he's adding new lessons every week. The scale collections are incredible.
I think your course will soon be known as the best course on the internet. This is exactly what I was needing and I feel lucky I found you.